SELF-PUBLISHING REVOLUTION: SUMMIT 2017
Are you tired of waiting to hear back from an agent or publisher?
Are you fed up with notes that are not designed to improve your work but simply to make it more “commercial”?
A revolution has happened in the publishing world. It has been democratized through a variety of distribution channels including Amazon, Kobo, iBooks, barnesandnoble.com, and Smashwords.
Thousands of authors are supplementing their income and/or leaving their day jobs from the revenue generated from self-publishing their work. We no longer have to wait for the big five traditional publishing houses to rubber stamp our work. In fact, the major houses are now vying for the right to publish authors, rather than the other way around.
In this four day LIVE intensive you will:
- Participate in interviews and Q&A’s with successful self-published authors.
- Learn how to launch a successful book campaign.
- Get recommendations for professional book designers.
- Learn how to build a platform, develop a brand and market your book.
- Have all of your questions answered from how to upload a book to Amazon, to where to buy a bar code.
- Learn how to leverage book sales into a traditional publishing deal.
- Learn how to sell the world rights to your self-published book.
- Get tips on how to develop a social media presence.
- Join a group of like-minded authors whom you can stay in contact with and support through this process.
- And much more!
DAY 1 - "What Are You Selling?" with Al Watt
Al self-published The 90-Day Novel in 2010 and has sold over 30,000 copies to date. It became Amazon’s #1 book on writing for five months, outselling Steven King’s On Writing. "If I had sold the book to a traditional publisher, I would probably have received a small advance, maybe $5,000 if I was lucky, and would have been given 10% of the book’s net revenue. In other words, I would have lost over $200,000." He has taught everyone from award-winning authors to A-list screenwriters, journalists, poets, actors, professional athletes, war veterans, housewives, doctors, lawyers, television showrunners, Emmy-winning directors, first-time writers, and anyone else with a story to tell. He founded Writers Tribe Books, a publishing house for literary fiction, and the 90-Day Novel Press, a publishing house for books on writing. He is the author of The 90-Day Novel, The 90-Day Rewrite, The 90-Day Screenplay, and two novels: Diamond Dogs and Days Are Gone.
DAY 2 - "Harnessing Your Power" with Ally Bishop
Ally Bishop is a writer, editor, graphic designer, brand consultant, and creative mind. She liked college so much, she didn't want to leave—she ended up with four degrees, including a BS in psychology and master's degrees in creative writing and publishing. She's worked in publicity, sales, publishing, government, and education, and for the past decade, she's been a freelancer and business owner. Ally's been the lead editor/graphic designer on award-winning books and media projects, including USA Today bestsellers and independent films that have garnered acclaim. She hosted a daily live show for over a year and a half where she taught writing and branding concepts, resulting in an archive of over 400 videos. When she's not designing or wordsmithing, she's probably doing something else creative: painting, drawing, playing guitar, or learning brush lettering. She lives in Seattle, WA, with two dogs who aren't under the impression she has anything else to do except fill food bowls and cuddle on the couch.
DAY 3 - "Building Your Platform" with Melanie Vesey
Melanie Vesey is a PR Consultant with her own company Promotional Rescue, where she helps award winning indie artists and creative small biz owners promote themselves and their projects without feeling gross. Working with clients ranging from Grammy nominated rock stars with tens of thousands of followers, to newbies with ZERO idea on how to log on to Facebook, Melanie empowers them with the tools to improve their image/brand, use social media effectively to grow a loyal audience, and do outreach to press larger opportunities that will have lasting effects. As a creative herself with 25 years experience, she deeply understands the challenges her clients face financially, emotionally, and spiritually with making and reaching goals. She's so passionate about this work it's been said that "She's a goddamn promotional shaman!" by clients. She works with clients 1-on-1, in workshops, and online courses (coming soon). You can learn more about what she does and her services at www.promotionalrescue.com.
DAY 4 - "Practical Wisdom: Self-Published to International Bestseller" with Jennifer L. Scott
Jennifer L. Scott self-published her first book, Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in Paris. After selling so well, it was purchased by Simon and Schuster and has become a worldwide bestseller, selling nearly a million copies in Japan alone. She has also written At Home with Madame Chic and Polish Your Poise with Madame Chic (Simon & Schuster) and is the creator of the blog and YouTube channel, The Daily Connoisseur. She is a contributing writer for Huffington Post Style and has been featured on CNN, BBC, and CBS News, and in The New York Times, Vanity Fair, USA Today, Newsweek, and The Daily Mail. She lives with her family in Los Angeles, California. Learn more at www.jenniferlscott.com.
Class Length: 4 days
Class Days and Times Monday-Thursday, July 17-20, 3:00-4:00 p.m. (Pacific Time)
Where: Your telephone
- E.L. James' Fifty Shades series began as a self-published e-book before being picked up by a traditional publisher. The trilogy has now sold over 125 million copies.
- At the age of twenty-six, then unknown Amanda Hocking, was selling nine thousand self-published ebook copies of her novels a day. She had already made two million dollars from her efforts when St. Martins Press offered her a two million dollar contract for her next four books.
- Novelist and blogger J.A. Konrath has sold over two million copies of his self-published novels. He refuses to go with a traditional publisher.
- H.M. Ward self-published her first novel, Damaged, as an ebook in the New Adult category. It became a New York Times Bestseller and the series has sold over 4 million copies, all without signing with a traditional publisher.
- Lisa Genova self-published her novel Still Alice through iUniverse. Sales were so strong that it was reissued by Simon and Schuster. It has been translated into twenty languages and spent forty weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, and has been made into an Academy Award-winning film starring Julianne Moore.
- The list is endless!